Did you know the top four days for home candle fires are Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day?
While the use of open-flame candles can add ambience to a holiday and provide “warmth” to a home, battery powered candles are a safer alternative and one our firefighters and paramedics highly recommend you use.
If you choose to use open-flame candles, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department would like to remind residents that the improper use of candles can result in catastrophe. To avoid the dangers of fire while burning candles, please follow the safety tips listed below:
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Keep all combustible materials away from open flames
- Do not burn candles near windows or doorways
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy non-combustible surface
- Never leave candles burning when children or pets are present