Did you know that home fires occur most often during the winter months? Well, they do and this is one of the busiest times of the year for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue as well as all fire departments across the country.
- 905 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2,091,000,000 in property loss occurs from winter home fires.
- 67 percent of winter fires occur in one- and two-family homes.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- 5 to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
The reality is a large number of these fires are totally preventable. Please take 30 seconds and watch the below video to learn about some of the more common causes of winter fires and how you can prevent them.