Units responded to a house fire Sunday, March 27, 2016, at approximately 7:10 p.m., in the Vienna area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 1804 Brooktrail Court.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the garage and attic areas of the two-story single-family home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. The home had working smoke alarms, but the occupants were alerted by an explosive sound from the garage area. Two occupants have been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.
Damage is estimated at approximately $291,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improperly disposed fireplace ashes in the garage area of the home caused the fire.
Fireplace Ashes Safety Tips
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on decks, porches, or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove and anything combustible.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or stove.