Units responded to a garden apartment fire Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at approximately 1 a.m., in the Herndon area of Fairfax County. The apartment is located at 665 Dulles Park Court.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from a three-story garden apartment building upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. The occupants were home and were alerted to the fire by the activation of smoke alarms. Five occupants have been displaced. Red Cross assistance was offered but declined. There were no injuries reported.
Damage is estimated at $88,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The cause of the fire was determined to be a lamp that had been knocked over into a pile of clothing.
Lamp Safety Tips
- Always buy a certified lamp such as the Underwriters Laboratories or CSA International, as they provide standards to ensure safety.
- Keep combustible materials at least three feet from halogen lamps and consider not using them in areas where they might be tipped or overturned.
- Never place lamps near windows, beds, or an area where fabric may hang near the top of the lamp.
- Before using the light, ensure you are using the recommended bulb; the wrong bulb can cause the lamp to shatter.
- Shut off the lamp when you leave the room or area.