Units responded to a house fire Sunday, February 7, 2016, at approximately 4:15 p.m., in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 3329 Nevius Street.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from carport area of the ranch-style home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. The home had smoke alarms, but the alarms did not activate. A neighbor alerted occupants to the fire allowing the occupants to escape the home. Two occupants have been displaced and are receiving Red Cross support. One of the occupants received a minor burn injury and was transported to Fairfax Hospital.
Damage is estimated at approximately $70,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. Improperly disposed fireplace ashes in the outside carport area of the home caused the fire.
Fireplace Ashes Safety Tips
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on decks, porches, or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove and anything combustible.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or stove.