Units responded to a townhouse fire Saturday, December 19, 2015, at approximately 3:10 p.m., in the Centreville area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 14421 Fallscliff Lane.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the two-story, end unit townhouse upon arrival. Crews conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly brought the fire under control. No one was home when the fire broke out. Smoke alarms did not activate. One occupant has been displaced. Red Cross support was offered but declined by the occupant. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $48,750.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle on the first floor caused the fire.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.