Units responded to a house fire Saturday, August 8, 2015, at approximately 9:10 p.m., in the Springfield area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 5821 Heming Avenue.
Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. The occupants were not at home when the fire broke out; however, after arriving home heard a sounding smoke alarm and called 911. The occupants have not been displaced. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $18,750.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle too close to combustibles in a bedroom caused the fire.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.