Units responded to an apartment fire Wednesday, May 20, 2015, at approximately 9:45 a.m., in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The three-story Vista Gardens Apartment complex is located at 3463 Lake Street.
Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the first floor apartment upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive search and found a small fire in one of the bedrooms. The fire was quickly extinguished and brought under control in under 10 minutes.
Four occupants were displaced and will be receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
Damage is estimated at $4,687.
According to fire investigators, the fire was caused by an unattended candle placed too close to ordinary combustibles.
Candle Safety Tips
- Do not place candles near combustible materials.
- Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
- Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
- Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
- Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
- Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.