Units responded to a house fire Thursday, April 9, 2015, at approximately 9:30 p.m., in the Vienna area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 8561 Doveton Circle.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the rear deck of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in less than 10 minutes. There was no damage to the interior of the home.
There were no injuries.
Smoke alarms were present on all levels and did not activate as the fire was contained to the deck.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The fire was caused from the gas grill being left on which ignited a plastic storage bin.
Grill Safety Tips
Grills should be placed at least 15 feet from any home, building, or combustibles to ensure adequate air circulation.
- Charcoal must be kept dry. Spare propane bottles should be stored outside away from the home. A backyard shed is a good place.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill. Grills continue to give off heat long after cooking has stopped.
- Never place hot ashes in paper or plastic bags or containers. Only use metal containers for hot ashes.
- Use Underwriters Laboratories (UL) approved electrical starters in place of lighter fluid.
- Never use a grill on apartment or condominium balconies. This practice is one of the biggest dangers with grills. It is unsafe and against the law.