Units responded to a house fire Thursday, March 5, 2015, at approximately 1:30 a.m., in the Centreville area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 6929 Confederate Ridge Lane.
Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from a second floor bedroom of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. The occupants escaped unharmed when smoke alarms sounded. Three occupants have been displaced. Red Cross is providing support to the occupants. There were no injuries.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A lamp placed too close to combustible materials caused the fire.
Lamp Safety Tips
- Always buy a certified lamp such as the Underwriters Laboratories or CSA International, as they provide standards to ensure safety.
- Keep combustible materials at least three feet from halogen lamps and consider not using them in areas where they might be tipped or overturned.
- Never place lamps near windows, beds, or an area where fabric may hang near the top of the lamp.
- Before using the light, ensure you are using the recommended bulb; the wrong bulb can cause the lamp to shatter.
- Shut off the lamp when you leave the room or area.